About Texas Tejano

Hispanic Heritage Matters

Learn More button

History
1851 Fort Inge

1851 Fort Inge

Photographs | Architecture |

Fort Inge was begun as Camp Leona in 1845, with the entry of Texas as the 28th state of the Union. It was located in present day Uvalde County close to the Leona River. The 2nd Dragoons were station here in 1849. In December 1849 the post was renamed Fort Inge in honor of Lt. Zebulon M. P. Inge, United States Second Dragoons, a West Point officer killed at the Mexican War battle of Resaca de la Palma